Award-winning senior technical writer with over 16 years experience in successfully gathering, organizing, and presenting information to internal and external customers. Particular expertise in problem-solving and in translating data into coherent and usable documents.
NMS Communications (Natural MicroSystems), Framingham, MA 1998-2002
Senior Technical Writer
· Researched, wrote, revised, and edited multiple developer's, reference, and installation manuals for computer telephony and converged communications hardware and software.
· Worked with team to develop RoboHTML template and convert all manuals to new format.
· Used FrameMaker, FrameScript, Webworks Publisher, Acrobat, and Visio to produce hardcopy manuals, and HTML and PDF documents for distribution on CD and posting on corporate web site.
· Developed new templates and graphics for installation booklets, and other documents, as needed.
· Contributed to corporate style guide, documenting procedures in Lotus Notes.
Bose Corporation, Framingham, MA 1993-1998
Senior Technical Writer
· Designed, researched, wrote, revised, and edited, and directed illustrations and translations for over 25 Bose Lifestyle music and home theater systems and Wave radio owner's guides and quick set up guides; met all schedule milestones while coordinating multiple complex projects.
· Developed the award-winning, highly recognized wordless Bose Quick Set Up Guide for worldwide use and a corporate style guide for wordless communication.
· Developed a PageMaker template for Bose owner's guides; participated in development of a Technical Communications Style Guide.
· Initiated and developed protocols for usability testing of Bose documentation and product design; conducted usability testing presentations and demos for in-house groups and professional seminars.
· Participated in product home evaluation, New Product Development Process, Total Quality and process improvement efforts, and proofreading/editing for Corporate Communications department.
· President's Award for outstanding service to Bose Corporation, 1997.
· Society for Technical Communication awards (regional, international), 1996, 1998.
Digital Equipment Corporation, Shrewsbury, MA 1993
· Researched and wrote StorageWorks RAID Array manuals for varied platforms, including Digital, IBM, and Sun, using Microsoft Word.
Clearpoint Research Corporation, Hopkinton, MA 1988-1993
Technical Writer/Project Leader
· Researched and wrote manuals for VAX BI storage subsystems, SCSI tape/disk drives, and RAID subsystems; manual for hair imaging system used in beauty salons; and user manuals for installation of memory in DEC, Sun, HP-Apollo, Compaq, IBM, Data General, Macintosh, and LaserWriter systems. NEWS 3X/400 Magazine, January 1991, highest rated user documentation for IBM add-in memory.
· Wrote specification sheets.
· Planned, created, and edited technical illustrations.
· Edited technical/marketing publications and training video scripts.
· Supervised contract writer.
· Provided Macintosh services (training, network, troubleshooting, forms design).
Layered, Inc., Charlestown, MA 1986-1988
· Wrote and edited user reference and product training manuals for Insight accounting software and Notes product line (online software help), using PageMaker and Microsoft Word.
C/SEC, inc., Framingham, MA, Director, Founding Board of Directors
· Operated national nonprofit organization, including public relations, legislative action, counseling, database management, financial management, and quarterly newsletter and publications layout and production using Macintosh systems.
· Designed, conducted, and reported complex survey of Massachusetts hospitals. Researched and published article that was instrumental in changing established medical practice and policy.
Massachusetts and New Jersey Public Schools, Elementary School Teacher
Division of Child Guardianship, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Social Worker
Framingham State College, Certificate
Technical Writing/Corporate Publications Program
Wheelock College, M.S. Ed.
Certification in elementary education
Brandeis University, B.A.
· Professional conferences (STC, Macworld, computer user groups)
· Professional development courses at Bentley Information Design Program, PubsNet, and others
· STC Annual Publications Competitions - lead judge
· The Framingham Studio – courses in video production
Framingham Town Meeting, Elected Representative
Framingham Cable Television Advisory Committee
Framingham Cable Television Public Access Producer
Framingham Townwide PTO Council, Past-President
Health Education Advisory Committee
Chamber of Commerce/MetroWest Leadership Academy
Writing samples and references available on request.