Career Planning for the New Market Workshop
By Georgette Gagne
It seems like only yesterday when technical communicators could move from job to job, finding new positions that offered growth and usually a higher salary. Oh, how the world has changed. We all have very personal knowledge of the economic downturn, and we know very well how long it has been here. When will it end? I wish we had that answer. But who can afford to wait for that to happen?
On Saturday, September 28, the STC Boston Chapter will hold a daylong workshop on Career Planning in this new climate. Stay tuned to the Workshops page (http://stc-boston.org/programs/workshop.shtml) for details. We have had great response to our questionnaire on what should be covered. With the speakers and panels that we have lined up, you should come away from the workshop with concrete ideas that are targeted at differentiating yourself from the other resumes on the hiring manager's desk.
Among the topics that you have told us that you want are the following ones:
- What are the changing technologies and challenges?
- What are the areas that have the greatest need for technical communicators? What is hot, and what is not?
- What other areas can technical communicators develop in, with additional training?
- How do you adapt your resume for various jobs?
- What are the pros and cons of using online job search Web sites?
- How do you stay motivated?
Be sure to check the Workshops page at http://stc-boston.org/programs/workshop.shtml for details. It won't be your typical career-planning workshop.
Georgette Gagne is a member of the STC-Boston Council and has been the Employment Information Manager since 2001. Georgette also posts jobs listings to the STC Boston Chapter Job Bank. Georgette is a Senior Technical Editor at Rational Software in Lexington, Mass. You can contact Georgette at .