Boston Broadside
September/October 2002
Vol. 60,  No. 1
    Newsletter of the Boston Chapter of the Society for Technical Communication

Contents


Copyright © STC Boston 2002

[email protected]

And the Answer is....

STC@50 logoWeb Poll #40, posted on the Boston Chapter Web site at http://stc-boston.org, asks about the history of the name of the Boston Chapter's newsletter. Here is some background:

The original name of the Boston Chapter newsletter was The Technical Writing Review, first published in late 1953. In 1960, the Society of Technical Writers, the Association of Technical Writers and Editors, and the Technical Publishing Society merged to form the Society of Technical Writers and Publishers (STWP), and the newsletter briefly became the Bulletin of the Boston Chapter STWP. In November 1960, it was renamed The Boston Blue Pencil, owing to editors' use of nonreproducible blue pencils to mark up writers' copy. In 1983, with the advent of "real" word processing and graphical user interfaces (as opposed to screen editors and markup languages), the name changed again, to the Boston Broadside.

For more information about the history of the Boston Chapter, see "Boston: A Cradle of Liberty...and Technical Information," at http://stc-boston.org/broadside/09_2002/v60_no1_krupp.shtml. Check upcoming Web polls for more Broadside trivia questions before the publication of each issue of the Boston Broadside.

Broadside in PDF | Print-friendly Article

Resources