Profile/Resume Bank Showcases Members' Talents
By Barbara Casaly
The Boston Chapter Member Profile/Resume Bank, which debuted in December 2001, is a relative newcomer to the chapter's Web site. It features lists of all active profiles, profiles of members who are seeking permanent employment, and profiles of members who are seeking contract employment.
Whereas the Job Bank lists employment opportunities, the Member Profile/Resume Bank showcases the talents of chapter members who are seeking employment or who simply want to network.
A customized search allows for searching of resumes that are formatted in HTML and stored on the Web server, as well as more limited searching of resumes that are formatted in PDF or on personal Web pages. Although the searching capabilities are somewhat limited, the personality of each member comes through in a way that would not be possible with the more typical, database-driven resume bank.
Find the Member Profile/Resume Bank at http://stc-boston.org/resumes/profilelist.shtml.
From the Member Services menu, click Member Profile Submission Form to submit your profile and, optionally, your resume. Log in with your member ID, enter your password (your last name with initial caps), and complete the form. Within a few days, your name and your credentials will be in the spotlight of the Boston Chapter STC Web site.
Why submit your profile and resume?
Here are some benefits of submitting your profile and resume to the Member Profile/Resume Bank:
- If you are looking for employment, then this is one more way to gain visibility.
- If you are a contractor or consultant, then networking is the name of the game. This is one more opportunity to do just that.
- If you would like to have your professional skills and experience available on the Internet, then what are you waiting for?
- Possibly you need to hone your HTML-tagging skills, and converting your resume from Microsoft Word or FrameMaker to HTML is the perfect exercise.
Why review the Member Profile/Resume bank?
You may want to review the profiles and resumes in the Member Profile/Resume bank if any of the following apply:
- You know of a job opportunity and want to find some potential candidates.
- You'd like to contact some fellow technical communicators with similar skills and experience to share ideas and knowledge.
- You'd like to review some great resumes and glean some ideas for your own resume.
Here's some feedback from satisfied users of the Member Profile/Resume Bank:
"... I now have an interview with a company that got in touch with me via my listing in the STC Member Profile Bank. In the past month, I've had three contacts with recruiters through STC, versus none through monster.com. So thanks, and keep it up!"Peter Ash
"I got a new job just 4 weeks after I lost one! That's a great service. Keep up the good work!"John Sgammato
"I just accepted a new job and I start on Monday! So you can delete my profile and my resume from the STC resume bank. Thanks for doing this; this is a great service, and I did get a few calls from it."Barbara Rosenstroch
Barbara Casaly is a contract technical writer and a senior member of the STC. She can be reached at .