STC You this Fall:
Programs for Your Success
By Taryn Light
We are very excited to have Saul Carliner as the guest speaker at our STC fall kick-off meeting on Thursday, September 13. The program will be at the Sheraton-Lexington Inn from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and includes dinner. For directions to the hotel, how to register, and the agenda, see the Monthly Programs page. If you have any questions about the September program, contact Taryn Light at .
The theme of this program is focused on YOU and YOUR career opportunities in this marketplace. Before and after Saul's presentation, our local placement specialists will be available to chat with you.
The title of Saul's presentation is "A Career Review for the New School Year: Career Ladders for Information Designers and Developers." He will focus on career opportunities for technical communicators resulting from the growth in knowledge, e-learning, and content management in organizations. Saul will explain how you can prepare for work in these areas and will provide suggestions about what else you can do with your technical communication skills. He will provide a framework for considering careers in information design and development, describe tools to help you assess your current skills, and suggest strategies to further develop your skills.
Saul is an assistant professor of information design and corporate communication at Bentley College. He has consulted with organizations in Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America. His books include An Overview of Online Learning, Eight Things that Training and Performance Improvement Professionals Must Know about Knowledge Management, and Techniques for Technical Communicators. Saul received the Frank R. Smith Outstanding Article Award in 2000 for best article in STC's journal, Technical Communication, and is an STC Fellow as well as a Past International President of the STC.
Here's a sneak peak preview of the STC 2001-2002 programs. Keep checking the Chapter Web site for up-to-date information.
- Saturday, October 20: Workshop for Consultants (details forthcoming)
- Wednesday, October 24: Mike Doyle, President, PubsNet, "HTML Tools Come of Age"
- Monday, November 12: Shlomo Perets (from Israel), MicroType, "Creating Interactive PDFs" (joint meeting with Northern New England Chapter)
- December: we are planning to do something for others such as working at a soup kitchen, or getting involved with Toys for Tots. More later on this.
- Wednesday, January 23: Program on localization
- Wednesday, February 20: Program on writing and editing
- Wednesday, March 20: Program relating to cross-functional teams (joint meeting with Northern New England Chapter)
- Wednesday, April 17: Program regarding usability
- Wednesday, May 22: Program discussing management issues (and how to solve them)
- June: End of Year Banquet (date to be decided)
Taryn Light is the first vice president of STC's Boston Chapter, the director of technical publications at Media 100 Inc. in Marlboro, and a Senior Member of STC.